So the blogging journey begins. How to blog and bring honor and glory to God. My goal as a daughter of the king (which makes me a Princess) will be to uncover the intimacy of knowing, loving, abiding & trusting in Him. But first we need to uncover a few things like Who is God? and Who am I in Him? As well as how do you become a vessel unto honor--as his Perfect Word states--"Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, & another unto dishonour?" I'll use the KJV 1611 version of the Bible, Abiding in Christ (Murray), His Princess-love letters from your king (Shepherd), Trusting God (Bridges) & my own personal experiences as references for this study. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Be"Leaf"

Recently, I shared with my co-worker and friend, Janet, a story of how I struggled for so long with worshipping thru music but felt that I was on my way to "freedom". The verse below and the story that follows will show you how beautiful dancing can be if it brings glory to the Lord. The story is not mine...it's actually a God moment that Janet had just a few days after our conversation. Bless her heart for her sharing her joy in Christianity, as well as her appreciation of our Savior and His creation:

I saw a leaf tap-dancing in the street this morning. Of course, it had no taps, but there it was, tapping in the middle of the street for all it was worth. Not moving left or right, but staying in one spot, it was moving to some ecstatic, invisible beat, caught up in the joy of its Creator.

The leaf itself was singularly unremarkable; as a matter of fact it was near the end of its existence. Faded from some vibrant shade of green to dry tan, its lack of sustaining moisture had caused it to roll into an inverted tube. Any other time I would have gone on by, completely oblivious to it.

But there it was, caught up in the power of a small whirlwind. With no power of its own, it danced with carefree abandon in the power of the unseen wind, becoming a thing of praise and beauty. No matter who was watching, or if no one was watching, it danced, caught a beam of sunlight and turned golden for just a bit, tapping out praise on the asphalt for the glory of God.

“Let all creation sing…”
1 Chronicles 16:31-34
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice: and let men say among the nations, The LORD reigneth. Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof: let the fields rejoice, and all that is therein. Then shall the trees of the wood sing out at the presence of the LORD, because he cometh to judge the earth. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever.

I am thankful that she shared that moment w/me. I visualized it as if I were the leaf. I trust in our Savior that as his word states in: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 ¶To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

12 comments:

Kevin P said...

everything created is for God's pleasure.. even the "dancing" leaf.

good Baptists don't dance! ;)

Christina said...

What's the chapter and verse on the "Good Baptists don't dance?"

David S Baker said...

i dance!!! but only for God when no one is watchin, and if i ever marry, ill dance with her to show God im thankful for the one he gave me. i would never turn my nose up to God and say i refuse to take joy in the wife he gave me by not dancing. oh yes there is a time to dance indeed!! i loved this post!! BEST YET!

Kevin P said...

I like how David "danced unto the Lord" right after Uzzah was killed and right before his wife despises him. I am not opposed to the idea of righteous dancing (Psa 149/150), but we need to be careful not to wholesale buy into "will I dance for you Jesus or will in awe of You be still..."
Dance with your wife all you want - lets not call it "dancing unto the Lord".

Kevin P said...

guess it all depends on how you answer this question... (Rom 6:1) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

;)

jen said...

so..." whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God" ... can that not include dancing, Kevin? :)
not sure what Romans 6:1 says about dancing...unless you're assuming that all dancing is sin...hmmmm...

Kevin P said...

according to Psalm 149/150 all dancing is not sin. Lets just be careful... "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient"

David S Baker said...

yeah, but there is a time for it. and i think dancing when done unto the lord or to thank the lord for the one he has given you is wonderful and i believe the bible says so. keven already talked about david, and the jew's have alot of dances that they worship with to this day. we are just kind of stuck up and carful not to get to loose i think. on the other hand, lets not all start hoppin around church either....

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Dave - I am not sure I understand what you mean by your first comment. Are you saying that if I do not dance with my wife - I am not taking joy in my wife and I am turning my nose up to God? That appears to be what you are saying.

David S Baker said...

yeah thats right, i said "and if I ever marry, ILL dance with her to show God IM thankful for the one he gave ME. I would never turn MY nose up to God and say I refuse to take joy in the wife he gave ME by not dancing". i think you get the point. thats just how i would feel about it, i would feel like God had given me this wonderful thing and i was just going to refuse to enjoy that thing. as for you and your wife, im sure you have perfectly good reasons why you decided you will not dance together. i was talking about myself and my personal convictions. i was in no way saying you should be dancing or your turning your nose up at God. thats between you, your wife and God. i will go one farther though. as wrong as i would have been for telling you, you should dance with your wife, thats how wrong it would be for anyone to tell me not to.

Hindsey said...

What if the wife didn't like dancing? Would it be wrong for her to tell you not to dance?

(please, don't take this comment seriously, it's just poking fun at this Dancing Post that Christina wrote!)

Christina said...

Andy~
Your wife asked me to write this blog so you will be influenced to dance w/her in the kitchen, all weddings and barmitzvahs!!!! Ha.Ha.Ha!